Budva Montenegro - Tourist Guide
Accommodation Hotels Booking Restaurants Beach-bars Properties
Domaća verzija English version
google
Start hotel search
Destination:
Search for hotels in Montenegro
Check-in date
Check-out date

FIND OUT ABOUT BUDVA:
Budva INFO
  Beaches in Budva
  Geography & Climate
  History of Budva
  Culture in Budva
  Sport in Budva
  Budva Photo gallery
  Old photos of Budva

PLACES IN BUDVA'S RIVIERA:
Budva
  St. Nikola's island
  Bečići
  Rafailovići
  Pržno
  Miločer
  Sveti Stefan
  Petrovac



CHURCHS IN BUDVA

Monasteries Fortresses


Holy Trinity

The comparatively large Orthodox church of the Holy Trinity is distinctive in architectural design. It is also in the middle of the citadel, in the group of ecclesiastical buildings. Noticeable is its solid volume, with central dome facades of alternating rows of white and stone blocks and ornamental details. It was completed in 1804. It has several points of interest, the product of unusual, complex concepts of architecture, the work of a trained engineer and skilled stone-cutters and masons. It is obviously similar to the large church dedicated to the Holy Mother of God at Podostrog monastery near Budva and several other churches from the same and somewhat later periods.


St. Sava

The small, well-known and well-preserved church of St. Sava has enriched Budva's cultural heritage with new discoveries. Remnants of frescoes on the vaulting and walls of the church, recently cleaned, dating approximately from the mid-2nd century, are an important contribution to Budva and the surrounding area. Even more important for identifying the small church was the discovery of a stone inscription dated 1143. This discovery confirmed the authentic stylistic value of the church. A single nave with a semicircular apse on the east, covered by semicircular vaulting, two pairs of pilasters on the inside of the longitudinal walls, the church in terms of construction and outer form points to Romanesque stylistic origins. The elongated stone blocks with which the facades are built resemble work characterizing the original part of Kotor cathedral, dating approximately from the mid- 12th century. Today we might even say that the small Budva church could be the work of the same building workshop, or the same group of builders. The idea that the Romanesque style persevered as a craft and artistic concept in the old Zeta littoral in the first half of the 12th century is, indeed, supported by Budva's small church.


St. Petka

St. Petka's church has a unique architecture. In it there are frescoes from the first half of the 18th century.


St. John

One of the most famous churches in Budva is the Catholic church of St. John , the seat of the diocese until 1828. It is not clear when the church was built. Its appearance and condition today are probably the result of renovation after the great earthquake. This is a triple-aisle, vaulted building, with lateral expansion before the sanctuary. On the north side a bell-tower was built, finished in 1867, like Dalmatian belfries of the period. To the south stands a building that first served as the bishop's palace, executed in rough, almost rustic neo-Gothic technique, Gothic windows. This is obviously a reflection of 19th century romantic concepts in architecture.


St. Maria in punta

The oldest church with the precise date of constructing in Budva is crunch of St. Mary's. It's placed in Old Town of Budva. This is a short Latin inscription in stone about the building of a church in 840. Today it survives incorporated in the north wall of St. Mary's - one of the oldest known, accurately dated, medieval inscriptions on the eastern Adriatic coast. It is believed that it refers to the church of St. Mary cited in later written sources. It is not known where the church was located; possibly it was even an adaptation of the diocesan basilica.
The small town of Budva did not preserve many records of its appearance in the Middle Ages. Material remains confirm continuity of habitation in the town. For this period there are the remains of ecclesiastical buildings, and something an be concluded on the basis of the medieval walls.


St. Tom

This is the church from 14th century. It is situated in Becici.


St. Ilija

This is the church from 15th century. It is situated in Petrovac.


St. Nedjelja

This is the church from 14th century. It is situated on a small island Katic, near Petrovac.


St. Nicholas

Church from the XV century built on the island with the same name: renovated in1864.


Holy Cross

It is situated in Novoselje. Church from the XV century, adorned with frescoes from the beginning of the XVII century.


St. Stephen

Church from the XV century.


Holy Transfiguration
This church is adorned with the frescoes form XVII century. In 1855. a big church dedicated to Alexander Nevski has been built.





 

 

Copyright © 2003 - 2017   All rights reserved.  Rivijera.net Budva